[Box Backup] Backup Stats ?

Matt Brown boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 29 Aug 2007 20:51:08 +0100

> Hi Matt,

Hi Chris,

>> I am currently running Box Backup 0.10 (Chris Merge 1794) for a
>> handful of clients in place of an Rsync script - clients however
>> were used to the verbose output to show what files were backed up
>> and the rsync summary at the end of the batch was also semi-
>> informative...
>>
>> Is there likely to be a similar feature for Box ? I did grab the
>> bbclientstatus.pl script along with the box::config perl mod which
>> can email the last backup etc of a client which is great for me to
>> see the status of the clients, and poke this data at Nagios,
>> however I think what the clients would love to see is something
>> along the lines of:
>>
>> 1. Did it backup last night ?
>> 2. What size was the backup.
>> 3. Any errors ?
>> 4. Space left on store/used.
>
> The Box Backup client can now log a lot of this information, if you
> turn on the LogAllFileAccess option and run it in verbose mode
> (sufficiently high -v level, or -V for maximum). You could grep it
> out of your syslogs (with timestamps for everything) and report it,
> or I can provide a way to write the logs to a file instead.

Is that a new option ? I did not know it existed ? - however a
LogAllFileAccess = {filename_here}  or similar would be handy :-)

I presume if I put in LogAllFileAccess = yes  - it will poke the
verbose detail into syslog or in my case /var/log/box ? or is it a
parameter passed when starting the Daemon ?

> You will see it connect/disconnect (so you know that it backed up),
> a list of files processed, ignored due to not being modified,
> backed up successfully, or failed to back up. As far as I know, no
> existing scripts have been modified to process and report on this
> new verbose data.
>
> You can get the space left on store at any time with bbackupquery.
>> Keep up the fantastic work on this project, I am a great fan and
>> of course as always I am happy to test or assist if need be :-)
>
> Thanks, it's highly appreciated!

Just out of interest, how long before 0.11 ? Is the merge stable
enough yet ?

Regards

Matt Brown
matt@mbrown.co.uk