[Box Backup] different contents to store file

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 5 Dec 2007 09:20:47 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Torsten,

On Wed, 5 Dec 2007, Torsten Boob wrote:

> running bbackupquery compare gives me an
>
> Local file '...'  has different contents to store file '...'.
>
> But only on some files generated by Photoshop 6.5 (*.p65)
>
> I assume an error like described in the BB wiki:
> http://www.boxbackup.org/trac/wiki/FAQ#what-does-the-has-different-contents-to-store-file-log-message-mean

As the modification time is the same, it would appear so.

> Comparing the local and the backup (restored) file:
>
> - same modification time
> - different content
> - different md5sum
> - different size
>
> Does BB not compare the mtime of the files for making backups?

Yes it does, which is why it thinks the file hasn't changed.

> Solutions?

No simple ones at the moment. We could and should check ctimes as well as
mtimes on Unix (this doesn't work on Windows) and size. We could apply
Gary's MD5 checksum patch.

It's my opinion that such behaviour in applications is fundamentally wrong
(why lie about the modification time?) and should be fixed there, so you
could also file a bug with Adobe (bad vendor, bad!).