[Box Backup] one drive headin' south - recovery methods?

Garry Glendown boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 03 Jan 2007 12:37:03 +0100

Ben Summers wrote:
>> identify which of the three .rf-files is defective? Or need I
>> physically delete/not copy the bad files?
>
> You should not copy the bad files. The raidfile library will drop back
> to recovery mode when a file is not present or it gets a read error from
> the OS. If you copy corrupt files to the new disc, it will not detect
> the problem as there is no read error, and you will get bad data back.

OK, tnx for the info, will clean up the copied directory and remove
everything that had read errors ...

> store for reading but not writing. I plan to remove raidfile support in
> the next major version -- software RAID support is much better these
> days, and the raidfile support is not complete as it doesn't have full
> recovery options.

Understandable, though being able to use a regular filesystem can be an
advantage at times ... from a programmer's view, I tend to support that
decision ...

-garry