[Box Backup] Any pitfalls with NFS and bbackupd/bbstored

Stuart Hickinbottom boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Sun, 07 Jan 2007 18:19:47 +0000

I have a Linux machine activing as a Box Backup server, with a
directly-attached disk used as the store for bbstored.

I also have a Linux machine that is a client to another Box Backup
server (not the one above), and it also has a directly attached disk
that contains the client files that are backed up.

Inevitably, those disks are filling up and I'm thinking of expanding
disk capacity on these machines with a NAS device available over NFS
v2/v3 (an Infrant ReadyNAS NV, perhaps). The NAS will be on the same LAN
as those machines so the network performance will not be an issue.

My question is whether there will be any problem with either:

1. The bbackupd client daemon backing up files that are on the other
side of an NFS mount.
2. The bbstored server daemon managing a server filestore that is on the
other side of an NFS mount.

I ask because I remember discussion of some issues with either the
client and/or server with remote disks and file locking, although I
think that might have been on a Win32 installation.

Any help appreciated - I could set up a test installation, but if anyone
already knows the answer it would save me a few hours setting it up and
testing it. I'll add any answers into the wiki.

Stuart