[Box Backup] OT: Server colocation

Wout Mertens boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 19 Jul 2007 18:13:30 +0200

Have you considered Amazon's Web Services?

    http://www.amazon.com/AWS-home-page-Money/b/=20
ref=3Dsc_fe_l_1/105-3769240-3766816?=20
ie=3DUTF8&node=3D3435361&no=3D3435361&me=3DA36L942TSJ2AJA

I recently took a look at them and they seem almost too good to be true.

For example, storage (the S3 element) costs 0.15$/GB, and it's =20
enterprise-level and pay-as-you-go. You access it using HTTP (REST) =20
or SOAP. You pay per GB transfer, 0.10$/0.18$ per GB transferred =20
depending on direction. Pretty cheap if you ask me.

You can use your own servers to access it, or you can let them host a =20=

virtual image (the EC2 component) at very reasonable prices...

I'm considering switching over to them, it seems to me I'll save =20
money over my current colo and gain reliability in the deal.

---

Obligatory on-topic comment: Maybe boxbackup could be changed so all =20
you need is an S3 account and the boxbackup client instead of a server.

I'm serious. What do you think? Can the boxbackup protocol be changed =20=

so all you need is SOAP or HTTP? I'm thinking yes...

Wout.