[Box Backup] restore file >2GB

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 27 Jun 2007 22:33:56 +0100 (BST)

Hi Pete,

> Would you please give this relative novice 5 lines or so of instructions
> on how to move my Ubuntu/Debian server store from v0.10 to your "a
> recent enough chris/merge on the server".

Just the same as any upgrade. Please ensure that you back up your 0.10
binaries and installation first, as you suggest. And please don't do this
unless you're prepared to accept that this is an experimental version, and
you have another backup strategy.

1. Backup everything in /etc/boxbackup/* and /usr/local/bin/bb*

2. svn co http://bbdev.fluffy.co.uk/svn/box/chris/merge

3. cd merge

4. ./configure

5. sudo killall bbstored

6. ./runtest ALL

7. ./runtest ALL release

8. install as usual (untar the server parcel and copy files to
/usr/local/bin)

9. /usr/local/bin/bbstored

> And also, I'm not sure what do with your "If you backed up a large file
> with an older client...". I'm sure I have some quite large files backed
> up with the older client in several accounts on my store server.  I'm
> not sure if any are >2GB.  (BTW, is that 2GB as measured on the client
> or on the store server?)

As measured on the server (compressed encrypted). If you don't have any
files that large, and don't expect to have any in the near future, then
you shouldn't need to upgrade anything on the server.

> And so, to delete it from the store, should I exclude it in the
> bbackupd.conf and let housekeeping take care of it, or should I just
> whack it on the server?

I'm not sure how to "whack it on the server", but excluding it, running a
backup, and then un-excluding it should work. Please check that the files
are marked as deleted with bbackupquery.