[Box Backup] I have the fear....

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 14 Mar 2007 22:11:59 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Ben and all,

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007, Ben Bennett wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 10:05:24PM +0000, Chris Wilson wrote:

>>> OK, so it appears that Box Backup did not notice that ._cfg0000_host.conf
>>> was moved over host.conf, and therefore did not back up host.conf again,
>>> until you touched the file. Is that your understanding as well?
>
> I don't think that is the case... I just did another emerge and I see:
>
> # ls -la ntp-client ._cfg0000_ntp-client
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 542 Mar 13 15:15 ._cfg0000_ntp-client
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 745 Mar 13 15:15 ntp-client
>
> So it doesn't touch the original.  I am waiting for my backup to occur
> before I do the config merge, I will report in with the results.

It seems to me that it did touch the original: both have the same
timestamp (to the accuracy of ls), even if the file sizes differ. Please
could you stat both files and tell us the modification times reported by
stat?

I can't reproduce the problem when the timestamps differ, but I do
understand how this bug could occur if the timestamps are the same. My
gentoo box does not touch the original file at all when updating, not even
changing its timestamp. So I think there may be something wrong with your
gentoo box (perhaps an old/buggy version of portage?)