[Box Backup] I have the fear....

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 15 Mar 2007 09:34:31 +0000

On 15 Mar 2007, at 00:29, Ben Bennett wrote:

>>> I could understand if boxbackup didn't see any
>>> change at all if the timestamps didn't change (but the filesize did,
>>> does it consider that too?)
>>
>> No, it doesn't consider file size, because the exact file size is not
>> stored on the server, so it doesn't know that the size has changed.
>
> That seems like a really useful thing to store on the server... where
> are the file attributes (or ACLs even) being stored?

In the encoded file, or if the attributes are changed but the file
contents not, in the directory.

> Could that be
> added too?

You can find the exact size by going through the block index,
decrypting the encrypted section of each entry, and summing the
uncompressed size. So it would duplicate data for little gain.

I'm happy to consider it for the redesign, but I feel that adding it
now is going to be painful due to having to test stores with mixed
old and new formats.

Ben