[Box Backup] Box Backup on Rails - Part 2

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Mon, 19 Mar 2007 21:37:32 +0000

On 19 Mar 2007, at 21:29, Martin Ebourne wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 17:09 -0400, Fry, Joseph wrote:
>
>> I love the idea, however in a situation where it is imparative that
>> the data on the server be protected against the server admins as well
>> as the public, this solution breaks down.
>
> That will unfortunately always be true of web based front ends, and as
> you say, makes the client part unsuitable for many of the situations
> that Box Backup was designed for. Still it's a great tool and some
> people will find it useful, even just the server side interface is
> handy.

I suggested that there could be an "instant" version for running on
localhost, and Stefan agreed it was a good plan and one he was going
to do sometime in the future. The idea is that you download the
tarball, decompress it, run it, then point your web browser at
localhost:xxxx, and it picks up your keys and config from /etc/box/
bbackupd.conf.

Ben