[Box Backup] Win32 bbackupquery deleted files and backup timings

E.W. Peter Jalajas boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 16 May 2007 14:37:56 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Chris,

> 1) Why is the file marked with X when it still exists?

Is it possible that this file was really deleted or inaccessible, either
in it current name or in some previous name before it was renamed to
QBWin.log.old3? Could it ever have been excluded, or located on a mount
point that was not accessible at the time? Could it have been opened
exclusively by a Windows application such as QuickBooks?

PJ:  All of those things are possible, except maybe the mount point, because it appears to be a log file. I'm not sure how QB works with those logs.  Should BB "repair" those old X's when it finds the file again?

> 2) How can 2 versions of the file exist so close in time (e.g.
>    2007-05-14T14:37:20 and 2007-05-14T14:59:28)?  I just searched and
>    only see one version under that BackupLocation.

Could it be that this file was previously the current log file for
QuickBooks, and was renamed to QBWin.log.old3? If it was the current log
file, I would have expected it to be updated, sometimes sporadically,
sometimes frequently, and if Box Backup detected a change during a backup
run then it would have backed it up again.

PJ: OK, I think I see.  Yeah, log rotation could cause this effect, I think.  Let me see if I understand:
14:37 .log3 file continuously modified for last 24 hours
~14:45 hourly scan, .log3 not uploaded for 24 hours, so uploaded with 14:37 timestamp
14:59 .log3 modified or created again
~21:45 hourly scan, .log3 now 6 hours old, uploaded with 14:59 timestamp
Something like that?

What are the values of UpdateStoreInterval, MinimumFileAge and
MaxUploadWait in your configuration?

UpdateStoreInterval = 3600
MinimumFileAge = 21600
MaxUploadWait = 86400

(See my Feature Request re being able to use minutes and hours units...)

Thanks, Chris,
Pete