[Box Backup] ExtendedLogging in Windows build

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Tue, 23 Oct 2007 00:13:52 +0100 (BST)

Hi Peter,

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007, Peter Porter wrote:

> I'm getting an error accessing a file from one of my BoxBackup clients
> running Win32 build "vchris_general_568":

That build is extremely old and I don't support it any more. Please could
you try the latest one?

>   Exception caught (Common OSFileError (Error accessing a file. Check
> permissions.) 1/9), reset state and waiting to retry...
>
> I've enabled ExtendedLogging to figure out what file it's hanging up on, but
> I don't see any extended logging.

ExtendedLogging may not help you much here, it's a protocol log rather
than a file access log. If the latest build doesn't give you better error
messages, please report whatever it does tell you (especially the file and
line number of the exception report) and try setting LogAllFileAccess =
yes and run bbackupd with the -V option.

> Any advice?  Where does the
> ExtendedLogging go on Win32 builds?

To the console, if you run it from the console, and to the Windows event
log in any case (which you can view with Event Viewer). But detailed
logging is suppressed in newer builds unless you run with the -V option.

> I'm also curious why it hangs up on one file and (seemingly) fails to
> continue backing up the rest of the definition.

That was a kind of bug (or paranoid behaviour) in older versions, now
hopefully fixed.