[Box Backup] Re: Irregular Expressions

Jon Dye boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Mon, 24 Sep 2007 09:12:07 +0100

--------------enig1E358CA1471616C2E66EAC5F

Chris Wilson wrote:
> 1. Do nothing. The worst option (in my view) except that it takes no ti=
me.
>=20
> 2. Use PCRE everywhere and add it as a dependency.
>
> 3. Use PCRE everywhere and bundle it with Box Backup.
>=20
> 4. Use PCRE in preference to POSIX regular expressions if available.
>=20
> 5. Provide a configure-time switch to choose between POSIX and PCRE
> expressions.=20

in descending order of preference, 4, 2, 3, 1, 5

I guess that most people won't have a problem with having PCRE as a
dependency but it's nice to allow the choice for those people who really
don't want it.

You could add a --version parameter to the programs which is like the
vim one, i.e. it shows all the compile time options.

JD

--=20
"The NRA says guns don't kill people... people kill people. I think the
gun helps!"
		- Eddie Izzard