[Box Backup] Connection fails during backup to remote server

Matt Brown boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Sun, 13 Apr 2008 23:55:52 +0100

Hi Chris,

>> Yes, snapshot mode.
>
> OK, so would you expect bbackupd to retry automatically in case of a
> network error during an (explicitly-requested) sync? I guess so, but I
> could be wrong.

Well, I would envisage that once a snapshot has been started that it
would sync until its completion. All the clients we backup use the
snapshot method out of hours mainly to reduce network traffic during
the day.

In this instance the connection/socket is reset presumably by the 1 &
1 firewall states which in turn cause the connection to be severed/
terminated ... obviously a couple of things can be re-arranged to make
this work - i.e iptables or alternative location.

Would it be better to run all backups in lazy mode ? Well I could, but
the reason for running backups in snapshot mode is to set a time slot
when the bandwidth is off peak and to reduce traffic during the day -
with my current DSL provider I get around 350GB of free bandwidth at
night between 8pm and 8am  - so it make sense to backup at these
times, I am also guessing that once box incorporates mark states this
will require a snapshot type sync ?

Matt