[Box Backup] Re: client connection error

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Tue, 29 Apr 2008 01:40:14 +0100 (BST)

Hi Sean,

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008, admin@vancocomputing.net wrote:

> I ran the daemon using -kVT as you requested. I saw no difference from
> running that or with -DVT, at least not on the screen output or the
> logs. Does this help any?

Does it appear to be working, i.e. backing up files? What does it do when
you run it with no options and then request a sync? What do you get in the
client logs?

> If needed to be done long-term, writing to the console isn't a huge
> problem, but could I just send the output to /dev/null?

I'd rather fix it so that it works without any options as it should.

> I'm not very familiar with init.d scripts, although the last few minutes
> of reading has been very informative. I think I've narrowed it down to the
> following:
>
> bbstored - stops and starts fine, but will not come up on a restart.
> Running restart right afterwards brings the daemon back up, so it might
> just need a pause inserted between the stop/start commands.
>
> bbackupd - won't stop either on a stop or restart, and has to be killed.
> Afterwards it will come up on a start or restart command.
>
> If you need access to a Debian server, I'll offer mine up. It's a VM and I
> don't have any sensitive data on it.

That could be very useful, thanks.

> No problem, it's just good to know how it handles encryption. Are you
> able to tell me what it uses to compress the data?

Sorry, I'm afraid I don't know offhand. docs/backup/backup_encryption.txt
mentions PKCS padding. I'd guess it's done by an OpenSSL block cipher.

> I also noticed that, oddly enough, I've only gotten one e-mail notice
> for success/fail of the job, despite firing off a sync multiple times.
> Does it only e-mail when there's a problem?

Yes, and only at the end of the backup run. Does that explain it?

> If so, I should have gotten several, as I only now got a successful
> backup. I didn't change that part of the config.

You should have log messages about "Notifying admin" for each email that
ought to have been sent.

\ _/_/_/_//_/___/ | We are GNU : free your mind & your software |