[Box Backup] FeatureRequest: Mass Deletion Protection

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 7 Aug 2008 14:25:49 +0100 (BST)

Hi Torsten,

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008, Torsten wrote:

> i build a little patch for the Feature Request "Mass Deletion
> Protection".
>
> http://boxbackup.org/trac/wiki/FeatureRequests#MassDeletionProtection
>
> If a local directory does not exists but exists on the backup store. And
> if this location is activated in bbackupd.conf then it is not marked as
> deleted.
>
> I use this in conjunction with autofs and linux. Autofs does not create
> a directory if the mount was not successfully.
>
> To activate this you have to extend the bbackupd.conf config file with:
>
> KeepLocationIfNotFoundLocal = yes
>
> It would be nice, if somebody could tell me if this patch works for you.

Thanks for the patch! However, I thought of a simpler way of doing this.
Now that we have a setting for how long to wait before deleting unused
root directory entries, how about letting it be set to zero to disable
deleting them forever? E.g.

	DeleteRedundantLocationsAfter = 0

would change the default time of 172800 seconds (2 days) to "never
delete".

Would that do what you want?

> I don't know, if the mailing list filters attachments. If so, where to
> put the patch?

Here is fine, but if you have a Trac account, putting it in the Trac
bugtracker would be even better, ensuring that it doesn't get lost.

\ _/_/_/_//_/___/ | We are GNU : free your mind & your software |