[Box Backup] Help installing client on Mac OS X

Chris Wilson boxbackup@boxbackup.org
Sun, 10 Aug 2008 23:34:27 +0100 (BST)

Hi Richard,

Apologies for the delay in replying, our mailing list server had some
emails stuck in its queue which I've only just received, including this
one.

On Wed, 3 Oct 2007, Richard Hurt wrote:

> I think putting BoxBackup in a repository for the Mac is a great idea!
> Not having much experience with Mac repositories I would like to know
> why you choose Fink instead of Ports?

Do you mean MacPorts? I have no objection to it per se, but I noyl have
experience with Fink. I suppose that the existing FreeBSD port files may
be useful in creating a port for Macs.

> I'm trying to choose right now for my own systems and would like some
> input from others as to what they think. Traditionally I am a Debian man
> and APT is just way cool and I think Fink is closer to this model than
> Ports.

Yes, I believe so too. I think that binary packages are more efficient and
don't require users to have a compiler installed, but I can see why
purists prefer source packages.

\ _/_/_/_//_/___/ | We are GNU : free your mind & your software |