[Box Backup] Eventlog full with warnings

Roy boxbackup@boxbackup.org
Tue, 02 Dec 2008 15:13:48 +0100

Chris Wilson wrote:
> Hi Roy,

>> First run (on start of service) there is a message saying backup-ok:
>> NOTICE: About to notify administrator about event backup-ok, running script
>> 'cscript "C:\Program Files\Box Backup\NotifySysAdmin.vbs" backup-ok'
>>
>> But in next runs it doesn't. Is that the desired behavior? I would expect the
>> cycle backup-start, backup-ok and backup-finish in every run.
>>

> That is what I expected and it is the desired behaviour. The ultimate
> state of your backups hasn't changed since the first run. They are still
> OK. Therefore you don't get notified about it again. backup-start and
> backup-finish are different because people may want to hook events on
> them, such as creating and deleting database snapshots, and are unlikely
> to want to produce an email (unless it's a backup report).
>
> If one backup was to produce an error, then you would get a backup-error
> notification. After that, you will not get any more notifications until a
> backup succeeds, or the error type changes, in which case you will get
> backup-ok or read-error notifications.
>
> You can override this behaviour using the NotifyAlways setting in your
> config file, e.g. NotifyAlways = yes, which will suppress the suppression
> of duplicate events. Alternatively, you can record the state of the last
> backup notification (other than backup-start or backup-finish) in a text
> file and use it when you receive a backup-finish event to generate an
> email, confident in the knowledge that it hasn't changed since.
>
> If this is not what you want, then let's discuss it here on the mailing
> list, as others have complained about suppression (or lack of it) in the
> past and I'm not sure that there's a "right answer" except to make it
> configurable (which I have, with the NotifyAlways option).
>
> Cheers, Chris.

The behavior, is good, now that it is clear. But I didn't understand it
right away, maybe that should be cleared up on the wiki (or maybe it is
already?)? What you write here, makes it clear to me.
And I think the change from warning to notice, is probably good. Because
there is noting to be warned about when the backup is still ok.

Cheers,

Roy