[Box Backup] Unknown errors

Chris Wilson boxbackup@boxbackup.org
Fri, 19 Dec 2008 16:57:07 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Torsten,

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008, Torsten wrote:

> Dec 19 11:55:31 matrix bbackupd[6806]: NOTICE: Beginning scan of local files
> Dec 19 12:10:18 matrix bbackupd[6806]: ERROR: Failed to read from
> file: /boxmount/boxmount-SERVERHH/testfile.dat: Permission denied (13)
> Dec 19 12:10:18 exobackup bbackupd[6806]: WARNING: Exception thrown:
> CommonException(OSFileReadError) at FileStream.cpp(200)
> Dec 19 12:10:18 matrix bbackupd[6806]: ERROR: Failed to upload
> file: /boxmount/boxmount-SERVERHH/testfile.dat: caught exception: Common
> OSFileReadError (1/14)
> Dec 19 12:10:18 matrix bbackupd[6806]: WARNING: ListDirectory command failed:
> received error FileDoesNotVerify = 6
> Dec 19 12:10:18 matrix bbackupd[6806]: WARNING: Exception thrown:
> ConnectionException(Conn_Protocol_UnexpectedReply) at
> autogen_BackupProtocolClient.cpp(1545)

Here is the problem. For some reason, bbackupd was able to open
/boxmount/boxmount-SERVERHH/testfile.dat, but not able to read from it.
This was not an expected situation; normally the open would fail if there
was a permissions problem. Can you copy that file to a local file on
"matrix" without errors, when running as the bbackupd user? What kind of
filesystem is it, and if it's a network mount, what is the remote OS?

After this error, it appears that we did not finish the StoreFile
command, and we sent a ListDirectory command. The server interpreted this
command as the file data that it was expecting us to upload, and as it is
not valid file data, it reported the error FileDoesNotVerify.

The client is however expecting a response to the ListDirectory command,
and FileDoesNotVerify is not a valid response, so it throws the
Conn_Protocol_UnexpectedReply exception, which ends the backup run.

> Dec 19 11:19:36 test bbackupd[2679]: ERROR: Failed to read from
> file: /exomount/exomount-server-DiskD/WEB/PC_info/Outlook/Outlook.pst:
> Permission denied (13)
> Dec 19 11:19:36 test bbackupd[2679]: ERROR: Internal error during backup run:
> basic_string::substr
> Dec 19 11:19:36 test bbackupd[2679]: NOTICE: About to notify administrator
> about event backup-error, running
> script '/root/exobackup/boxbackup/NotifySysadmin.sh backup-error'

I'm pretty confused about the basic_string::substr error. According to the
code this should be impossible. Please could you build a clean copy of the
latest snapshot or trunk on this machine and try running it instead of
r2237?

Given that an error was reported about Outlook.pst just before that, I
suspect that a similar condition may be happening here as the one above.
Perhaps this one is caused by the file being locked by the operating
system on "exomount server". Can you copy this file from
/exomount/exomount-server-DiskD/WEB/PC_info/Outlook to a local disk? If
you get an error, does it copy part of the file? Could you exclude that
file from the backup and see if it runs successfully then?

\ _/_/_/_//_/___/ | Stop nuclear war http://www.nuclearrisk.org |