[Box Backup] Adding files from usb hdds

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 20 Feb 2008 18:35:30 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Timothy,

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008, Timothy Wilson wrote:

> I now have a problem where I have a couple of remote machines that I
> want to move to boxbackup, but they have more data than I care to
> download. So rather than sucking down multiple gigabytes of data through
> my small internet pipe, I was thinking I could just backup the targets
> to a usb hdd, and then plug it into the server to sync off.
>
> But how to get the data into the right account? The approach I was
> thinking of taking, would be to install the backup client on the
> server, create a new account for the remote machine, but point the
> backup config file's targets to the mounted hdd instead of the remote
> machine. However, I think that will muck up the paths; ie it will be
> backing up /mnt/hdd/home rather than /home. Is there a way to rename
> the paths, or am I going about this the wrong way? Is there a better
> approach?

It shouldn't mess up any paths because the root directory of the account
contains only location names, and locations don't know anything about the
real physical path that they're backed up from. So you can set the
location path to /mnt/hdd/home in bbackupd.conf on the server, back up on
the server, and then configure the client's bbackupd.conf to back up a
location with the same name and with path = /home, and it should just
work.

> I haven't seen anything about this on the wiki :(

I've added an account for you on the wiki, I'll email the password
separately, please feel free to add it (perhaps under Common Tasks).