[Box Backup] Failing tests

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Tue, 1 Jan 2008 22:41:32 +0100 (CET)

Hi Guno,

On Tue, 1 Jan 2008, Guno Heitman wrote:

> Just updated to rev. 2014 and all tests now pass, on both machines! Good
> work!

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier. I had to revert a fix that I
made for the raidfile tests on FreeBSD as it broke them on Linux. I'm
still trying to work out how to make them work on both, and Christmas got
in the way :-( (and now I have a cold too).

> Now I'd like to see if my original problem (which I haven't even
> reported here yet) is gone. Is it safe/sufficient to just replace the
> executables in /usr/local/bin/ with those from svn (trunk/release/bin/)?

It is sufficient but not necessarily safe, i.e. no guarantees that it
won't eat your data. However the fact that the tests pass is a good sign,
and as usual I would recommend that you have more than one backup strategy
and that you run compare -a regularly (preferably automatically). If you
are happy with the small risk then we'd really appreciate the extra
testing of trunk.

> Happy new year btw.

Thanks, and I extend it to everyone on the list!