[Box Backup] store full?

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 17 Jan 2008 13:31:09 +0100 (CET)

Hi Torsten,

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008, Torsten wrote:

> Box Backup sends me an email when the Used storage (bbackupquery usage)
> reaches the Soft limit. But that does not indicate any problem when
> there are many old and deleted files.
>
> Wouldn't it be better to send warning emails if
> - Used reaches Soft limit
> AND
> - old + deleted files is near zero?

Seems like a good idea at first sight, but I suspect that the way that
we're doing this, in the sysadmin notify script, is not ideal for that
purpose. This status is one way that a backup can end - an unsuccessful
way - and we're just reporting that fact to the script.

Wouldn't it make more sense for you to disable the email sent from this
script, and instead monitor all your accounts with bbstoreaccounts info? I
could easily provide a more machine-friendly output mode for that command.

That way you can set the levels for "account is nearly full" and
"deleted and old files near zero" yourself.