[Box Backup] Re: Announcing 0.11 Release Candidate 1

Reinhard Tartler boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 24 Jan 2008 09:24:08 +0100

Chris Wilson <chris@qwirx.com> writes:

>> http://experimental.debian.net/build.php?pkg=boxbackup
>>
>> Short: There as some failures, however I'm not sure if they are real
>> problems, or problems with the buildds. Please tell me if there is
>> something I can do to make it more easy for developers to understand
>> these failures.
>
> Thanks very much for doing this! It does indeed point to a number of
> problems that I would like to debug before releasing 0.11.
>
> The main thing is that I need to be able to reproduce them. For example,
> the armel platform has some very surprising and confusing failures which I
> have never seen before on any platform, and some which I thought I had
> already fixed. But I don't know how to reproduce such a platform for
> testing and debugging.

armel hasn't built any 0.11rc1 packages yet. The buildlogs the link
shows are for ALL versions the buildd network for debian/experimental
has built so far.

> Is it possible to find out how these buildds work?

All buildds are running on native hardware running debian. Mostly
stable, build AFAIK this is up to the discretion of the buildd
administrator.

> E.g. are they running under qemu or some other emulator, or do you
> have a real little-endian ARM box to run them on?

armel is not an official debian
architecture. http://wiki.debian.org/ArmEabiPort has some more
information about its status. While for release architecture, the
porters are expected to provide developer machines for DDs, this does
not seem the case for armel.

> Is it possible to run them under an emulator? Is a pre-built image
> available for download for testing?

http://wiki.debian.org/ArmEabiHowto has instructions how to install an
debian/armel system from scratch in qemu. I don't know about an
pre-built image for that architecture, but I can try to contact the
armel porters for one, if you want me to do that.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4