[Box Backup] Re: Announcing 0.11 Release Candidate 1

Reinhard Tartler boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 24 Jan 2008 12:36:39 +0100

Chris Wilson <chris@qwirx.com> writes:

> Hi Reinhard,
>
> On Thu, 24 Jan 2008, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
>
>> armel hasn't built any 0.11rc1 packages yet. The buildlogs the link
>> shows are for ALL versions the buildd network for debian/experimental
>> has built so far.
>
> Yeah, sorry :-) I got confused by all the old buildlogs.

no problem :)

>> > Is it possible to find out how these buildds work?
>>
>> All buildds are running on native hardware running debian. Mostly
>> stable, build AFAIK this is up to the discretion of the buildd
>> administrator.
>
> Is it possible to find out which release/branch they used in each
> case?

The release/branch the buildds are running is actually not really
important, at least it should not. The packages are being built in a
debian/unstable chroot, which is updated at irregular intervals.

>> > E.g. are they running under qemu or some other emulator, or do you
>> > have a real little-endian ARM box to run them on?
>>
>> armel is not an official debian
>> architecture. http://wiki.debian.org/ArmEabiPort has some more
>> information about its status. While for release architecture, the
>> porters are expected to provide developer machines for DDs, this does
>> not seem the case for armel.
>
> Does that mean that you or I could get interactive access to hppa's and
> ia64s for testing and debugging box?

As Debian Developer (DD), I do have access to an ia64 and hppa machine
(and other debian supported architectures), where I can run/compile/port
packages. I'm sorry but the machine usage policy restricts access to
those machines to DDs. :(.

But if you want me to try out some patches (with instructions how to
test), I can do that for you, no problem.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4