[Box Backup] Manually deleting files

Oli boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Fri, 25 Jan 2008 09:54:58 +0000

Morning All,

I've got into quite an awkward situation with my box backup server, I'm
hoping there's a simple way out of it.

We have an onsite rsync backup which maintains a current snapshot of
several servers and historical archives going back about a month.

We have an offsite boxbackup server with which we sync our current
snapshot from the onsite.

Boxbackup's been working well, deleting old files as required, as the
current fileset grows.  Unfortunately, several days ago, the Boxbackup
ran out of old files to delete and has hit the hard limit of the store,
which unfortunately is set at 100% of partition size.

I went through and identified about 20Gb of crap which I then deleted
from the live servers and onsite backup, or excluded from the offsite
backup.  But because the store is totally full, it can't mark a current
file as old or move it to 'old' or however it works and then delete it.

The only thing I can do is alter the filesystem to allow it to use the
last 0.5% of the partition which is normally only available to root,
then increase the store size and cross my fingers and hope this gives it
enough room to mark some current files as old, then delete them over the
next few days, then shrink the store to encourage it to delete the old
files (otherwise I'll have no way out when this happens next!)

What I'd really like to do is identify and delete some of the store
files to immediately and definitely solve the problem.  Is there any way
to do this at the mo?

Thanks very much in advance! :-)

Cheers,
-Oli

--
Oli Comber
Systems Developer

4-10 Barttelot Rd   Horsham   West Sussex   RH12 1DQ
M: +44 (0)77255 82405   T: +44 (0)870 881 5097   F: +44 (0)870 116 0793

3aIT Limited is a company registered in England and Wales.
CoReg: 3866698   VATReg: 771388600

Visit www.3aIT.co.uk for Design, Systems, Support

Disclaimer:
The information contained within this email is confidential and may be
legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying or distribution of
this email is prohibited and may be unlawful. The content of this email
represents the views of the individual and not necessarily 3aIT Limited.
 3aIT Limited reserves the right to monitor the content of all emails in
accordance with lawful business practice. Whilst every effort is made to
ensure that attachments are free from computer viruses before
transmission, 3aIT Limited does not accept any liability in respect of
any virus that is not detected.
3aIT Limited