[Box Backup] Announcing 0.11 Release Candidate 2

James O'Gorman boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Tue, 29 Jan 2008 16:44:05 +0000

On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 10:19:38AM -0500, Eric Cronin wrote:
>  $prefix/share/doc/boxbackup is where it will end up on MacPorts.  This seems
>  to be semi-standard (e.g. /usr/local/share/doc/progname on freebsd and a few
>  linuxes I checked)

Some Linux-based distros do seem to use /usr/share for packaged apps
though (and only use /usr/local for user-compiled apps).

>  The --foodir knobs are getting overridden by the lines those regexes clear
>  out.  Take a look at configure, and the explicit sysconfdir='/etc'
>  assignment happens after the conditional logic to set it via the flags.

I fixed that this morning, so running './configure --sysconfdir=/foo/etc
--localstatedir=/usr/var' will now work. I'm going to update the FreeBSD
port with the following:

CONFIGDIR?=${PREFIX}/etc
CONFIGURE_ARGS+=--sysconfdir=${CONFIGDIR}

(this way the user can pass CONFIGDIR=/blah to make to override)

>  The default locations relative to --prefix are correct in the current
>  version of configure, so the explicit --foodir= flags are left out...  Once
>  I can remove those two regexes the flags should be enough.

It'd be nice to have it default to /usr/local, but with an
already-established userbase it violates the POLA principle to change
it.

HTH,

James