[Box Backup] Logging on OS X - BB 0.11RC2

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Fri, 11 Jul 2008 20:17:50 +0100 (BST)

Hi Tobias,

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008, Tobias Balle-Petersen wrote:

> Helo Chris
>
> Chris Wilson wrote:
> > Which logfile do your Box Backup messages end up in?
>
> /var/log/system.log

Are you sure that the syslog.conf that you posted is the complete file? It
makes no reference to /var/log/system.log, and an example that I found
online here:

  http://lists.apple.com/archives/macos-x-server/2006/jan/msg01730.html

lists as its second line:

  *.notice;authpriv,remoteauth,ftp,install.none;kern.debug;mail.crit
/var/log/system.log

If your syslog.conf does indeed have such a line, then please add
";local6.info" after "mail.crit" and restart syslogd in order to enable
more detailed logging. If not, please could you try to find out which
application is controlling logging to this file and how it's configured?

> Use of bbackupquery is now also logged to that same file: Jul 11
> 09:04:56 yoiko Box Backup (bbackupquery)[8511]: WARNING: Local directory
> '/Volumes/raidA/bogholderi/X. Gammelt' exists, but store directory
> '/bogholderi/X. Gammelt' does not.

Yes, that is normal with the new logging framework. I thought that it
would be useful to log such messages as it would help people who run
bbackupquery in a script or who get a large number of messages in
response to a command, resulting in their console overflowing.

\ _/_/_/_//_/___/ | We are GNU : free your mind & your software |