[Box Backup] Wildcards in BackupLocations

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Sun, 23 Mar 2008 15:24:49 +0000 (GMT)

Hi James and Kjell,

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008, James O'Gorman wrote:

>>  I was kinda hoping this would solve the problem. But it does not recognize
>>  the %VARIABLE% :(

No, it is not designed to recognise any such environment variables. Even
if it did, you would still have other problems:

* Locations belonging to other users would be seen as "redundant" (no
longer needed) when bbackupd starts, and deleted on the store after a
timeout (2 days by default).

* All users' files on the store end up in the same account and encrypted
with the same key, so it's not safe to give them access to their own home
directories anyway.

Which makes James' suggestion the best answer I can think of:

> Why not just have one store called "Users" which points to C:\Documents
> and Settings"? Something like:

Unfortunately I think these settings will not work:

> users
> {
> 	Path = C:\Documents and Settings
> 	ExcludeDirsRegex = .*
> 	AlwaysIncludeDirsRegex = My Documents$
> }

as the My Documents paths are usually:

   c:\Documents and Settings\user1\My Documents
   c:\Documents and Settings\user2\My Documents
   etc.

and ExcludeDirsRegex = .* will exclude all the user directories, so Box
will never descend into them and find the My Documents within. Also, I
think (but I'm not sure) that the regex must match the entire path, not
just the end of it. So this configuration might work better:

   Path = C:\Documents and Settings
   ExcludeDirsRegex = C:\Documents and Settings\[^\]*\.*
   AlwaysIncludeDirsRegex = .*\My Documents