[Box Backup] [OT ] - Products that connect many disk to a server?

Richard Hurt boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Tue, 25 Mar 2008 13:47:47 -0400

I am starting to use a small box by Coraid (http://www.coraid.com).
Its an ATA over Ethernet (AoE) RAID box and not exactly what your
asking for but its close.  I got the smallest rack mount one
(EtherDrive SR421) and it holds up to 4 SATA drives.  Basically,
instead of installing 2-3 SATA cards in your box you just need an
extra Ethernet port and your good to go.  It does internal RAID and
its supposed to also support expanding into multiple cabinets.

Like I said, I'm just getting started with it and haven't had much
experience at all (and none with it and BB).  The build on the
hardware is just OK; it looks like some generic 1U server modified for
their use, not a purpose build box.  The only complaint I have so far
is the fan noise.  Either I have a bad fan or they need to update the
firmware so that they are temp controlled.  :/

Later...
  Richard