[Box Backup] Restoring a corrupted archive?

James O'Gorman boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Fri, 02 May 2008 07:12:13 +0100

Chris Wilson wrote:
> Box Backup is designed for efficient backups over the Internet, perhaps it
> might be wise to run it directly to the remote server in future? Together
> with regular compares, that should minimise the chances of getting corrupt
> data in your store, and alert you quickly to problems before they become
> fatal.

Do any of the Linux distributions have anything like FreeBSD's
periodic(8)? This thread has prompted me to start writing a periodic
script that I will include with the FreeBSD port, that will run once a
month and run "bbackupquery -q 'compare -a' quit" (with the -a flag
being changeable, e.g. if someone wanted to use -aq instead).

Maybe in the install docs we could recommend adding something like this
to root's crontab.

James