[Box Backup] Restoring a corrupted archive?

Magnus Homann boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Fri, 02 May 2008 15:26:23 +0200

Good news and bad news.

I got it rsynched and worked around the exceptions with a little help of
bash scripting (scary...) restoring directories one by one, skipping the
offending ones.

So, after a couple of days work I got all files restored back to
something that looked complete. Started Samba, synched with some files
on my laptop and modifed the soft/hard limmts to remove all old and
deleted files from the archive (shrinking from 211 GB to about 40 GB)
during night.

In the morning, my disk was corrupt again, and most of the files and
most of the backup stored locally was gone. Back to square -1.

I have now bought a new internal disk, in case that's the culprit, and
also bought an USB disk which as we speak is at my friends house filling
up with the 211 GB of his copy of the backup store.

The idea is to bring it back, copy it's content to my disk, remove the
USB disk from the computer and start all over. At least I now know how
to work around some of the exception.

I believe a 'force' flag to restore would  be an excellent idea, so that
it is possible to continue restoring after one of the stored files is
corrupted.

I was stupid enough to not take a separate backup of the newly restored
file to another disk last night, but smart/lucky enough to sync the most
important files to my laptop.

I'm off for the weekend, I'll let you know what happens

Magnus