[Box Backup] Deleting from backup

Magnus Homann boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 08 May 2008 15:04:56 +0200

Greg Bolshaw wrote:
> Dear list
>
> I have accidentally backed up some files that I don't want backing up.
> As they are quite large, is there any way to delete them from the backup
> permanently?

Yes, there is.

WARNING! NO GUARANTEES!

1) Find with bbackupquery the object id of the file(s).
2) Stop the server.
3) Remove the file(s) from the storage. The algorithm to go from the
object id to the storage file is a bit complex.
3a) If the object id is  0x00 to 0xff (example 0x12), the name is
<account nr>/o12.rfx
3b) If the object id is  0x100 to 0xffff (example 0x1234, the name is
<account nr>/12/o34.rfw
3c) If the object id is  0x10000 to 0xffffff (example 0x123456, the name
is <account nr>/34/12/o56.rfw (note reversal!)
3d) It is wise to check the file size on storage with the real file that
should be removed. Theu don't match, but should be close.
4) Run bbstoreaccounts check <account nr> fix.
5) Start the server.

That's what I practiced during my attempts to recover a corrupt storage.
Good luck!

A 'delete <object-id>' would be good in bbackupquery.

Magnus