[Box Backup] Feature Request

dave bamford boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 22 May 2008 10:28:30 +0100

Bjarne Carlsen wrote:

>While the workaround to transfer data via an USB harddrive, which is
>described in the wiki is nice, this workaround actually breaks the
>security of Box Backup in relation to clients.
>
>Box Backup is a system where the server is not trusted and should never
>be concerned with the clients' keys.
>
>I propose a switch in bbackupd to back up the client's files directly to
>a connected USB-device in encrypted form in order to perform the first
>transfer to the server. In this way, the server and its operators will
>never see client-data in unencrypted form, nor have access to the
>xxx-FileEncKeys.raw.

Great idea, some clients take a week or so to upload the initial backup.
So once
the "seed" backup is done the USB drive is physically taken to the
server and the
encrypted files are transferred as is, then backups continue in the
normal way.

I have done this sucessfully with other backup software

Dave Bamford.