[Box Backup] Asymmetric vs symmetric encryption

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Fri, 30 May 2008 13:34:41 +0100 (BST)

Hi Greg,

On Fri, 30 May 2008, Greg Bolshaw wrote:

> It seems that a limitation exists in Box Backup in that the whole system
> relies on the safe storage of the certificate file. If this is lost, the
> backups are rendered useless.

Not certificates but the keys file.

> Would it be possible to offer symmetric encryption as an alternative?
> This would work in a similar way to GPG's -c option:

It is symmetric encryption. You're talking about deriving the keys from
a shorter password that's entered manually. It is possible but I don't
know any standard tools to do it easily. You could do something like this
to generate your keys file from a password:

dd if=/dev/zero bs=1k count=1 \
| openssl enc -bf -K `echo mypassword | md5` -iv 1234 \
> bbackupd.keys

This generates the same keys file every time, in my quick tests.

> A secret passphrase would be used to encrypt/decrypt the backup data
> rather than a certificate. This would just leave the issue of how to
> authenticate bbackupd against bbstored.

That's a completely separate problem which involves a certificate, but one
that is easily replaceable.

> Understandably, it would be less secure to protect data using a
> passphrase (which could then be subject to a brute force attack, etc.),
> but in the balance of security and practicality, would this be a
> reasonable compromise? (pun unavoidable!)

It's much less secure, but if you want it you can do it.

What's wrong with backing up the raw keys onto a CD, encrypted by GPG with
a passphrase, and keeping that CD somewhere safe?

\ _/_/_/_//_/___/ | We are GNU : free your mind & your software |