[Box Backup] Web Management Interface

Chris Wilson boxbackup@boxbackup.org
Sat, 8 Nov 2008 18:49:40 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Pete,

On Sat, 8 Nov 2008, Peter Jalajas, GigaLock Backup Services wrote:

> Well, Chris, I, for one, would rather you worked on boxi... :^)  (I
> think the client side is where more day-to-day activity by non-techies
> is performed.  And I'd prefer that you focus on what you do better than
> anybody, and let someone else grapple with the server-side web
> interface.)

Well I agree that it would be good for me to work on Boxi, but one of the
best options for me is a partnership with a company that will sell Box
Backup accounts for me. If they sell enough, it will help to pay for me to
work on Boxi. But they're not Unix experts and need a better way to manage
accounts.

Also, the key management on Windows is really hard at the moment, and this
is a big part of making it easier (by sorting out the CSR and certificate
transfer). The other part is a script that I have planned for Windows
should make it much easier.

> While on the subject, while boxi is still under development, I'm about
> to hire a java developer buddy to work with me to create a gui wrapper
> around the boxbackup windows client .exe command lines.  For queries and
> restores, it would be really handy, if I understand it correctly, to
> read from bbackupd.dat instead of contacting the server each time. Do
> you have any suggestions in that regard?  Do we already have a tool for
> reading that file?  Is bbackupd.dat documented somewhere ('cept in the
> code)?

Not sure what you mean by bbackupd.dat? Is that the StoreObjectInfoFile?
I'm afraid it's not documented, I think Chromi wrote the code, I can
explain the binary format to you if it helps (it's actually quite simple)
but there's absolutely no guarantee that it won't change in future, or
even that it will be present at a particular time (e.g. it's deleted at
the start of a backup and only recreated if/when the backup finishes
successfully).

\ _/_/_/_//_/___/ | Stop nuclear war http://www.nuclearrisk.org |