[Box Backup] Backup client gets a new home

Chris Wilson boxbackup@boxbackup.org
Mon, 10 Nov 2008 21:33:08 +0000 (GMT)

Hi CJ,

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008, Com Puter wrote:

> I am backing up a client box that has almost 700GB of data.  I need to
> move it all to a bigger box.  Is there anything important that I need to
> be aware of when moving the data to the new box?  I don't want to start
> up the client agent and have it try to re-backup all the data.  Is there
> a database of some sort the agent uses to determine this that I need to
> make sure gets copied also?  Any other gotcha's? Thanks,-CJ

I can't think of any major gotchas. One thing that's important is to make
sure that the client isn't backing up while you copy the data, otherwise
you might get inconsistent files on the store. If it takes a long time to
copy (it probably will for 700GB) and you don't want to stop the client
for too long, then make the first copy, stop the client and use rsync to
copy any differences quickly.

All the information about file dates and times, etc. is in the account
directory in stored objects, just like the file data. You might want to
run a bbstoreaccount check on the account on both sides before restarting
the client. Make sure you create the account on the server :) and that the
new server's certificate is signed by the same CA as the old server's.

That should be it, but do let us know if you have any problems.

\ _/_/_/_//_/___/ | Stop nuclear war http://www.nuclearrisk.org |