[Box Backup] Old vs. Deleted

Chris Wilson boxbackup@boxbackup.org
Mon, 24 Nov 2008 21:38:39 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Tom,

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008, Tom Albers wrote:

> Recently I had to retrieve an older version of a folder, but I could not
> because there were no older versions available. Running info resulted in
> the following:
>
>                   Account ID: 00000001
>               Last object ID: 8009785
>                  Blocks used: 51199878 (99999.76Mb)
>     Blocks used by old files: 0 (0.00Mb)
> Blocks used by deleted files: 27961849 (54612.99Mb)
>   Blocks used by directories: 233209 (455.49Mb)
>             Block soft limit: 51200000 (100000.00Mb)
>             Block hard limit: 64000000 (125000.00Mb)
>          Client store marker: 1226809601724028
>
> So all space is occupied by current files and deleted files. As stuff
> moves pretty quickly on that server, a lot of info goes to the deleted
> section. But part of that is not interesting anymore, but it is kept in
> the backup for ever.
>
> Would it be possible to say: I want 20GB for deleted, 20GB for old and
> 60GB for current? Or would it be possible to purge the deleted files if
> they are deleted longer then a week ago?

I'm afraid it's not possible at the moment. I must confess that I don't
really understand the logic for removing old or deleted files in
housekeeping. I wish this was under the client's control, but currently
it's not.

Perhaps separate quotas, as you suggest, might be a simple workaround. I
think the best solution would be to move to a snapshot layout for the
store, where you could delete old snapshots when they are no longer useful
and manage your disk space that way. Unfortunately it's quite a big change
and therefore won't happen for a while.

I've created ticket 52 to remind me to look into this.

\ _/_/_/_//_/___/ | Stop nuclear war http://www.nuclearrisk.org |