[Box Backup] manual snapshot problem

Torsten boxbackup@boxbackup.org
Sat, 18 Oct 2008 10:28:43 +0200

Hi Chris,

Am Friday 17 October 2008 21:30:00 schrieb Chris Wilson:
> Hi Torsten,
>
> On Fri, 17 Oct 2008, Torsten wrote:
> > sorry for so much emails from me.
>
> Not at all, thanks very much for helping us by testing the trunk! This is
> really incredibly useful for sorting out problems before releasing 0.11.
>
> > I have another problem. I do not use AutomaticBackup. I run bbackupctl
> > 'sync manually'.
> >
> > Sent 'bbackupctl sync' once the backup never stops. The same seconds the
> > backup ends it starts again. That is not good for my internet connection
> > ;)
> >
> > I did not have this problem with 0.11rc2 but only with svn. At the
> > moment i use rev2354.
>
> One thing that I changed recently is that if the backup fails for any
> reason or has errors, bbackupd will retry quite quickly rather than
> waiting for you to use the "bbackupctl sync" command again.
>
> So, are there any error or warning messages during the backup, e.g. files
> which bbackupd failed to access? Any such error would cause it to try
> again without being asked.
>
> Since this behaviour is not desirable for you, but others have said it is
> for them, is there some compromise that would be acceptable for you? For
> example, if the next automatic attempt happened after UpdateStoreInterval,
> which you could set to be as long as you want?
>
> Cheers, Chris.

You are right. I have errors in the backup runs. I still have to locate
them ;)

I do not know if this works for me. Does UpdateStoreInterval only influence
the backup interval?

I mean, is
 "Automatic Backup with UpdateStoreInterval=3600"
and
 "AutomaticBackup=no, UpdateStoreInterval=99999999999999 and manual snapshot
once per hour with crontab"
exactly the same?

Then it will work for me.

But i think this configuration is not really intuitive. I mean it could be
difficult to describe how this works. Perhaps another ConfigurationOption
(e.g. ImmediatelyRestartSyncOneErrrors) would be clearer?

Torsten