[Box Backup] machinereadble output bbackupquery - help needed

Peter Jalajas, GigaLock Backup Services boxbackup@boxbackup.org
Sat, 18 Oct 2008 09:25:44 -0400

Hi Chris,

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 6:09 AM, Chris Wilson <chris@qwirx.com> wrote:
> Hi Pete,
>
> On Fri, 17 Oct 2008, Peter Jalajas, GigaLock Backup Services wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 3:48 PM, Chris Wilson <chris@qwirx.com> wrote:
>> > Hi Pete,

>> > Unfortunately this is not so easy to resolve, because bbstored does not
>> > currently keep track of that statistic in the store info file, so to find
>> > it out would require scanning the entire store, making this command run
>> > very slowly :(
>>
>> Thanks, Chris, I certainly understand.
>>
>> How about on the client side?
>
> Do you mean at the end of the backup run, in the system logs? That would
> be possible, yes.

Sorry, I don't know why I have the -q flag in the there.

I think we need one more line on the (client-side) "bbackupquery usage" output:

D:\Program Files\Box Backup>bbackupquery usage quit
NOTICE: Box Backup Query Tool vchris_general_1857, (c) Ben Summers and
contributors 2003-2007
WARNING: No random device -- additional seeding of random number
generator not performed.
Login complete.
Type "help" for a list of commands.
          Used    27777.4Mb  82% *********************************
     Old files    11698.3Mb  34% *************
 Deleted files     2637.5Mb   7% ***
   Directories        4.3Mb   0%
    Soft limit    30555.7Mb  90% ************************************
    Hard limit    33611.8Mb 100% ****************************************

I believe that a file that is both Old and Deleted shows up in both
tallies above, so "Current" does not equate "Used" - "Old" - "Deleted"
- "Directories".  (I don't have ready access at the moment to the
client that has "Old" + "Deleted" > "Used".)

Because of that, I think the output should have a line that displays
how many Mb are used by "Current" files that are not "Old only", not
"Deleted only", not "Old&Deleted", not "Directories".

That is, the latest version of the user's files. I think "Used" should
equal "Current" + "Old only" + "Deleted only" + "Old&Deleted".

I only ask because I thought it would be a fairly easy thing to tally
the "Current" while the code is tallying the "Old" and "Deleted", etc.

I'm probably missing something major, sorry.

Thanks, Chris,
Pete

P.S. Tallying file counts under each category would be fun, too, but
not at all required.

P.P.S.  While I'm at it, I generally think of "Used" as a percentage
of "Soft", not "Hard". When a client has "Used" at 100% of "Soft",
they are full.  So, the displayed percentages as a fraction of "Hard"
are fairly useless to me.