[Box Backup] Compile Boxi from tarball or trunk?

Chris Wilson boxbackup@boxbackup.org
Tue, 7 Apr 2009 15:16:13 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Achim wrote:

> Sorry for being imprecise, I was aware that this would reintroduce the
> cygwin1.dll dependency, hence the question about trading off recent version
> against cygwin1.dll dependency.
>
> Would you care to briefly outline why you prefer MinGW over Cygwin, or
> point me to an article that compares these options?

cygwin1.dll is a big dll to distribute. it requires GPL compliance, which
prevents me from selling non-GPL Boxi licenses if I so desire. It uses
Cygwin libc emulation which has different semantics to MSCVRT, so things
that work directly won't work through OpenSSL/cppunit/etc and vice versa.
The presence of two implementations of libc functions such as mkdir(),
stat(), etc. may lead to the wrong one being used, and therefore
application crashes. Cygwin applications use fake unix paths like /usr and
/cygdrive/c which make no sense to Windows users or applications, and
cygwin openssl will too, so loading a certificate won't work as we supply
a windows path to a cygwin dll.

\ _/_/_/_//_/___/ | Stop nuclear war http://www.nuclearrisk.org |