[Box Backup] bbackupquery.exe (R2549) has problems with non-ASCII directory names

Achim boxbackup@boxbackup.org
Wed, 05 Aug 2009 19:04:30 +0200

Hello Chris:

On Tue, 4 Aug 2009 23:34:39 +0100 (BST), Chris Wilson <chris@qwirx.com>
wrote:
>> Case 1
>> ======
>> query > ls
>> 0000006e -d---- @@@@@@
>> query > cd ñññññññññññ
>> ERROR:   Directory '' not found.
>> query > cd @@@@@@
>> query > ls
>> query > cd ñ
>> ERROR:   Directory '' not found.
>> query > cd ç
>> ERROR:   Directory '' not found.
>
> I'm not sure what's going on with the character encodings here. Please
> could you send a screenshot of what you see in the terminal? Also, please

> could you try running bbackupquery with the "-u" option, and enabling a
> unicode font in your console (such as Lucida Console) to render
> international characters properly?

This is a copy/paste from the console output: as you can see, in my
commands the accents work just find, but in the bbackupquery.exe reply they
are gone.

Once I run "bbackupquery -u", the messages appear correctly, and subsequent
launches without '-u' still work correctly::

$ bbackupquery.exe -c ..\config\bbackupd.conf
Unable to send message to Event Log (Event Log is full):
NOTICE:  Box Backup Query Tool vtrunk_2549, (c) Ben Summers and
contributors 2003-2008
Login complete.

Type "help" for a list of commands.

query > cd ñññññ
ERROR:   Directory '' not found.
query > cd ççççç
ERROR:   Directory '' not found.
query > quit

$ bbackupquery.exe -u -c ..\config\bbackupd.conf
Unable to send message to Event Log (Event Log is full):
NOTICE:  Box Backup Query Tool vtrunk_2549, (c) Ben Summers and
contributors 2003-2008
Login complete.

Type "help" for a list of commands.

query > cd ñññññ
ERROR:   Directory 'ñññññ' not found.
query > cd ççççç
ERROR:   Directory 'ççççç' not found.
query > quit

$ bbackupquery.exe -c ..\config\bbackupd.conf
Unable to send message to Event Log (Event Log is full):
NOTICE:  Box Backup Query Tool vtrunk_2549, (c) Ben Summers and
contributors 2003-2008
Login complete.

Type "help" for a list of commands.

query > cd ñññññ
ERROR:   Directory 'ñññññ' not found.
query > cd ççççç
ERROR:   Directory 'ççççç' not found.
query > quit

How can the "-u" fix instances that are launched later without that switch?

> You need to use forward slashes, not backslashes, to separate directories

> in remote paths. Does that work for you?

%) Sure works:

query > cd "CASES/Set_0-accents/ñññ ñññ/ç/ASCII"
query > ls
000001ae f----- testfile