[Box Backup] Virtual Machine backup

Dave Bamford boxbackup@boxbackup.org
Wed, 03 Jun 2009 08:46:15 +0100

Has anyone on the list had experience using box to backup a virtual
machine at
the hypervisor level. There are some commercial products out there but all
very expensive.

I have a server running Vmware ESXi and am using a script ghettoVCB.sh to
copy the vm to a NFS drive on another machine but ideally need to backup to
offsite. The files in a VM are very big but I would guess they compress
well.

Ideally box should run at the hypervisor level but there are no tools to
compile
at this level. I can get ssh access and get to an ash shell. uname -a
reports
VMKernel.

Dave Bamford