[Box Backup] Re: Re: Re: boxbackup + pg_dump

Anton Bogdanovitch boxbackup@boxbackup.org
Wed, 10 Jun 2009 02:19:44 +0400

James O'Gorman wrote:

> It depends how you want to handle the dumps really. I have my PostgreSQL
> servers do a nightly dump with a timestamp in the dump name (e.g.
> pgdump_dbname_yyyy-mm-dd-HH:MM:SS). I actually do the dump in the
> postgres binary format anyway, which is compressed by default.
>
> I like having a nightly backup of each database, so I'm not bothered
> about having diffs of the same SQL dump.

I have 13Gb dump (3.5Gb gzipped) and growing.
I was worried about huge file backup capability and diff operations cpu
usage. I just tried plain dump and it seems it was transferred
perfectly. I still have to check how boxbackup will handle updated dump.

> As Chris pointed out on the -dev list recently [1], too, another option
> is to use pg_start_backup() as a pre-backup command and just backup the
> actual database cluster rather than dumping out.
>
> James
>
> [1]
> http://lists.warhead.org.uk/pipermail/boxbackup-dev/2009-June/002457.html

Has anyone tried to perform postgres backup this way?