[Box Backup] Additional information for Volume Snapshot Service (Shadow Copy)

Achim boxbackup@boxbackup.org
Tue, 23 Jun 2009 18:50:24 +0200

Hello list:

In my quest to contribute to solve one of the major tickets under Windows
[0], I managed to locate some code that was originally developed for rsync
3.0 [1] and seems to be pretty straightforward.

The code referenced above was developed by Leen Besselink who in turn used
code from Elias Penttilä. I checked with both authors and both have given
their OK to reuse their code under the Box Backup license (see messages
below).

Chris, is this something that you would want to look at in order to add VSS
to Box Backup? The patch seems very simple to my untrained eye and could
probably be used in Box without too much modification, as it only adds the
function convert_to_vss_path() which creates a VSS copy for a given path
and returns the actual VSS path that can then be used to access the shadow
copy: all the magic is done within the VSS libraries. FYI, I tested the
process outlined in [1] to compile a VSS-aware copy of rsync, and it work
flawlessly. I just do not know where to include that capability in the Box
code.

Am I correct in assuming that the licensing mentioned below (with respect
to the GPL'ed Box Backup) should not be an issue with the BSD-style Box
license?

I hope this gives VSS another important push, in addition to the recent XP
license donated by Per Reedtz Thomsen.

Best regards, Achim

[0] http://www.boxbackup.org/trac/ticket/13
[1] http://www.consolejunky.net/cwrsync-vss/