[Box Backup] Userland RAID

Chris Wilson boxbackup@boxbackup.org
Tue, 3 Mar 2009 09:33:06 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Victor,

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009, Victor Meirans wrote:

> The WIKI says that userland RAID is deprecated and will be removed in a
> future version. Why it is so? Any reliability or performance issues?

It was developed before pretty much every OS offered software raid, so
it's now redundant and unnecessary. There is no store repair process (to
complete the checksums when the disk is replaced), it just gets your data
back. Most people don't use it so it's not as well tested as the non-RAID
configuration.

> And what is meant by "future version", 1.2, 2.0?

At the moment I have no idea, sorry.