[Box Backup] QT4 GUI for boxbackup

Néstor Arocha Rodríguez boxbackup@boxbackup.org
Wed, 18 Mar 2009 15:31:49 +0100

At the beginning, the main goal was to make the program available for windows. However there were lot of problems with random segfaults (I believed it was QT/memleak testing interaction), so we focused only in linux version.

However, I will try to make windows version working again.

I agree with you about spanish comments/debug/titles, I hope I can translate everything during the next weeks.

I'm also moving project to google code:

http://code.google.com/p/adelinbackup/

But I haven't uploaded everything yet, because I have changed project structure and need testing before upload. I will upload during this week, too.

I have also a question about boxbackup-0.10:
I'm using gentoo with gcc 4.3.3, and I have been unable to link boxbackup source code because it generates compilation errors about library names. For example:

boxbackup-0.10/lib/backupclient/BackupClientFileAttributes.cpp:820: error: 'memcpy' is not a member of 'std'

To fix errors, I used the following preprocessor code:

#if __GNUC__ >= 4
#include <cstdlib>
#include <cstring>
#endif

There is a better way to solve this?

Thanks in advance-

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 17:54:11 +0100
Tom Albers <toma@kovoks.nl> wrote:

> At Tuesday 17 March 2009 13:25, you wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > During last year I have been working for a little company in Madrid. Du=
ring
> > this time, I have been working in a GUI for boxbackup-0.10 with (C++, Q=
T4).
> > However, project was halted and we never released it as a service. Here=
 is the
> > result:
> >
> > https://launchpad.net/adelin-backup
> >
> > Although it has been released as a free software project (GPL+BSD), it =
is
> > written to automatically work with the company (adelin) servers, and us=
e the
> > company advertising system.
> >
> > However, I have continued development in my free time without commiting=
 changes
> > the project page. Now there is a system tray agent to check boxbackup c=
lient
> > status, better wizards and english translation is in progress.
> >
> > Last month the company went out of bussiness, and I asked my boss if I =
could
> > mantain the project as a free software project. He said ok, GPL+BSD lic=
ense,
> > but he will keep project copyright.
> >
> > I would like to open the project to community, so everyone can use the =
program
> > with their servers and without advertising. Therefore I'll relaunch the=
 project
> > in another place.. Any suggestions about project hosting? Do you believe
> > google-code is ok?
> >
> > Thank you in advance
> >

> Hi,
>
> Nice to see progress in this area. It will make BoxBackup usuable for a l=
arger audience.

> A couple of tiny nitpicks while installing/using:
> - The installer by defaults wants to install in the spanish version of 'p=
rogram files'.
> - Title of the window you get after pressing 'go' in the boxbackup instal=
lation is spanish.
> - The selection of the paths is weird. It seems to want a file name that =
is 'etc', which does not exists, I don't even have a folder with that name under Windows. Anyhow, test it, it's weird under windows.
> - In the dialog to select the 2 keys (which keys?), I select the two keys=
 and press next. It first tells me that it is unable to copy CSR file, after that it says that the server certificate already exists and if i want to overwrite it. I say ok and then it tells me it was unable to copy the file (certificate).
> - 0.2.6 source code is missing in the download area
> - 0.2.5 source tarball contains the .bzr folder.
> - use of the tr() function is not always used in the windows titles for e=
xample.
> - spanish comments in the code
> - the line "QFile::copy(newkey1,key1name)" from KeyWizard.cpp:332 fails i=
f the backup file already exists. You might want to delete the backup file first.
> - I could not pass the keys screen. The errors are cryptic. I tried to re=
compile to get the key2name value, but I failed to compile, due to some QFile error. Probably a local setup problem.

--
Néstor Arocha Rodríguez <nesaro@gmail.com>
Website: http://www.nesaro.com