[OT] Re: [Box Backup] Box Backup 0.11rc2 on OS X 10.5

Chris Wilson boxbackup@boxbackup.org
Fri, 20 Mar 2009 19:14:58 +0000 (GMT)

Hi James,

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009, James O'Gorman wrote:

> On 20/3/09 16:52, Chris Wilson wrote:
>> Then it's natural that people will block them, including me. They should
>> be more careful about who's allowed to send outgoing SMTP and in
>> responding quickly and proactively to reports of spam being sent from
>> their servers.
>
> That's actually pretty unfair. Dedicated server providers generally have
> no control over what their customers do with their machines so can't
> control who provides what services. But yes, they should deal with abuse
> complaints properly (assuming they have received any, rather than
> vigilantes outright blocking without contacting them).
>
> What would happen if one of the servers under the range provided by my
> hosting company became an open relay or was a source of spam? These lists
> would stop working if you just outright blocked the whole range. :-)

Hold on a second. I'm not stopping anyone else from doing whatever they
want with their mail servers. I'm just exercising my right to decide who I
choose to receive mail, or not receive mail from.

If I blocked your hosting company, then the lists would not be able to
send mail to *me*, but the rest of the world would continue to function
normally.

As I don't necessarily know who is using what servers where, I tend only
to block ISPs in countries where I don't knowingly have any
correspondents. Yes, China, Turkey and Kazakhstan can't send me any email
directly, only via the Box Backup or other lists that I'm on, whose
servers are not in those countries. For the moment I prefer it that way. I
haven't blocked any UK ISPs as far as I know.

Some ISPs do quickly and proactively deal with spam, and even detect it
before it's reported, and it's very unlikely that customers of those ISPs
would get around to sending me spam before they were shut down by the ISP,
so it's very unlikely that they would end up in my blacklist.