[Box Backup] Long path names, open files, etc

Scott McNee boxbackup@boxbackup.org
Tue, 31 Mar 2009 16:06:20 +1000

Hi Chris,

With Open files what if we head down the path of a DLL ? I dont know if
that is messy or not, but I have some VSS stuff in a windows programming
language that could be made into a dll.
That way box code would not be reliant upon any M$ products and would
only implement the VSS stuff if the DLL was present ?

You could expand the box interface to support multiple OS's in a modular
way. That way as a developer wanted to support say LVM Snapshots on
Linux they would only have to provide a shared object and not have to
get too involved with the Box code.

Box could also run in a failsafe mode. Where it tries to use one of the
plug ins but if something happens it can revert back to normal copy or
something. Realistically it is only the paths that box looks at that are
the problem?
ie. Some sort of sequence as follows.

-> Backup Start Event
-> Trigger Plug-in (Pass Relevant (Root) volumes)
                <- Plug-in passes relevant mount info for snapshot volume.
-> Mount Info Verified on Fail use default path. (No snapshots)
-> Backup as normal from snapshot volume
-> backup completes
-> Plugin cleans up snapshot.

There are some other backup tools (Commercial) that have a similar setup.

Scott.