[Box Backup] replicate two boxbackup servers

Achim achim+box at qustodium.net
Tue Oct 13 12:49:03 BST 2009

Hello Chris:

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 21:15:21 +0100 (BST), Chris Wilson <chris at qwirx.com>
wrote:
> Yes, it is possible to just use rsync from the master server (A) to the
> slave server (B) and only the changes will be copied, plus the rsync
> overhead.
>
> If you want a multiple-master setup, have a look at:

http://www.boxbackup.org/trac/wiki/FeatureRequests#a9Pseudo-ClusteringofServersfromBenon92704

This Pseudo-Clustering of Servers certainly sounds like a very neat idea,
and I understand that the required changes are not a "particularly
significant amount of effort" (quoting Ben): the changes still need to be
done at some point, right? This does not work out of the box.

Rsync however sounds like a neat idea, since you can run it every minute
(or every 10 minutes) to have a pretty recent copy of the pool. What would
happen to a file that is "in transfer" from the BB client to the BB server
during the rsync: will it be corrupted, or do files get saved to the backup
pool only after they have been fully received?

Thanks, Achim