[Box Backup] question for mailinglist: Maintanance on a store..?

Chris Wilson chris at qwirx.com
Sun Sep 13 23:27:49 BST 2009

Hi Robin,

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009, robinharteveld at gmail.com wrote:

> Is it wise/necessary to do a weekly check+ fix on a store?

I don't think it should be necessary. The store should not be getting
corrupted. If it is, I'd first investigate whether the server or bbstored
is crashing, or perhaps whether the server has bad memory or a faulty disk
controller.

> I use a boxbackup 0.11rc2 installation on a Centos 4.4 server. There are
> over 50 store on it. Sometimes when there is a problem with a client, it
> is fixed by checking and fixing the store.

What exactly are the problems that the clients have in these cases, and
what does bbstoreaccounts output when it's fixing the accounts?

> Is this wise? Is there any risk?

I don't think there's a risk in running bbstoreaccounts check fix, except
that it may mask an underlying problem that could be putting your backups
at risk.

You are regularly running compares on the clients and checking the
outputs, aren't you?

\  __/ / ,__(_)_  | Chris Wilson <chris+sig at qwirx.com> Cambs UK |