[Box Backup] Unnecessary upload and logging compares

Roy boxbackup at hostingbrothers.nl
Fri Sep 18 11:36:27 BST 2009

Hi all,

I think my messages are lost in between the activity this month. But I
still have two questions/problems.

One Box Backup installation on Windows XP, keeps uploading a lot of
data. But not much has changed. Always the first scan of files, results
in the biggest upload of the day. So I think something is wrong with the
first scan...

I see in the logfile the following:
MaximumDiffingTime reached - suspending file diff
Not deleting unused entries - none in list
Not deleting unused entries - too early (2899 seconds remaining) ->
because I removed a location

How can I see, what is causing this big uploads? Which files are uploaded?
Upload stats:
Today: 147 MB
Yesterday: 1503 MB (this is when I added a lot of photos, so this is normal)
16-9: 331 MB
15-9: 58 MB
14-9: 147 MB

Next problem is that I want to log the output of a compare (CLI), but I
cannot seem to do it. Because "> output.txt" doesn't work.
Can I put something in the config file to log this? Do I need to enable:
ExtendedLogging? And where is the data logged then?

Here is my current config file, without much of the comments:

StoreHostname = <server>
AccountNumber = 0x#
KeysFile = C:\Program Files\Box Backup\keys\#-FileEncKeys.raw

CertificateFile = C:\Program Files\Box Backup\keys\#-cert.pem
PrivateKeyFile = C:\Program Files\Box Backup\keys\#-key.pem
TrustedCAsFile = C:\Program Files\Box Backup\keys\serverCA.pem

DataDirectory = C:\Program Files\Box Backup\bbackupd

NotifyScript = cscript "C:\Program Files\Box Backup\NotifySysAdmin.vbs"

UpdateStoreInterval = 3600

MinimumFileAge = 21600

MaxUploadWait = 86400

KeepAliveTime = 120

FileTrackingSizeThreshold = 65535

DiffingUploadSizeThreshold = 8192

MaximumDiffingTime = 120

# Uncomment this line to see exactly what the daemon is going when it's
connected to the server.
# ExtendedLogging = yes

LogFile = c:\bbackupd.log
LogFileLevel = info
#LogFileLevel = trace

CommandSocket = pipe

StoreObjectInfoFile = C:\Program Files\Box Backup\bbackupd\bbackupd.state

Server
{
    PidFile = C:\Program Files\Box Backup\bbackupd\bbackupd.pid
}

BackupLocations
{
[...]